The second baking project...

July 2011


Was a 3 tier cake for my Daughters' Christening. Brave or stupid to go from having never baked more than 2 cakes before in my life to doing 3 all pretty much at once!!


Sooo, I made a cake plan and didn't just go into it blind! I purchased a set of square baking tins from a store on eBay which was much cheaper than anything on the high street.

This was my plan:

Bottom tier – 11.5 inches, 3.5 inches tall, fruit cake – Pink Icing, 2kg marzipan needed and 2kg pink icing
Middle Tier – 10.5 inches, 3 inches tall, madeira sponge – White Icing, 1.5kg white icing
Top Tier – 9.5 inches, 3 inches tall, Red Velvet – Pink Icing, 1.5kg pink icing
Sugarpaste/icing
Total Marzipan required: 2.5kg - ASDA
Total Pink Sugarpaste required: 4kg – CAKESTUFF
Total White Sugarpaste required: 2kg - CAKESTUFF
btw, to work out how much sugar paste I needed I found this extremely helpful chart http://cakestuff.bpweb.net/cake-covering-guide-c-33.html
Cake Boards & Boxes
14” Cake board
14” Cake Box
12” Cake Box
11” Cake Box
Dowells/Supports
4 x 3.5” dowels for each cake 12 dowels and 1, 11” dowel to go through all tiers to secure in place.

So I made the bottom and biggest tier first, which was the fruit cake. I decided on fruit cake mainly to give the rest of the cake support as I thought the other 2 tiers wouldn't sink into it as fruit cakes are usually pretty dense and stable! 

( I used the same fruit cake recipe as i used for my friends Hen Day cake as it went down well)

This is it before being baked:

This took ages to cook

To make sure it didn't burn on the outside before it cooked inside I tied baking parchment around the tin and also on top with a small hole cut out


This is it when it came out of the oven:


I let it cool completely and then I covered the cake in marzipan:


I then left the cake to dry out and harden before covering it with the pink sugarpaste:



That was the bottom tier done, next onto the middle tier. This was the good old plain Madeira sponge cake:


 Whilst that one was cooling I got straight onto baking my top and final tier, the red velvet cake ( I used Lorraine Pascale's recipe http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/three-tier_red_velvet_17795


 I was really quite disappointed when this cake came out the oven as it wasn't at all the red colour I thought it would be - I decided that next time I would invest in some gel/paste colouring rather than the liquid stuff.


All 3 cakes were baked and needed covering with sugarpaste 




I assembled it which was not the easiest of things and put in the support dowels.

This is what the finished article looked like:



Cake topper from eBay store  - lady that hand crafts them


This is it on the table at the christening tea:


I was very proud of myself and all the guests that attended complimented me on it which was just awesome!


0 comments:

Post a Comment